January 03, 2009

Utica Illinois: Racism and Race Discrimination in LaSalle County Illinois

My God’s Word says “…Touch not the head of my anointed…” All those who have persecuted me and others, my God will persecute and destroy them. In the words of a Gospel singer, “How great is my God, sing with me; How great is my God, and all will see; How great, How great is our God.”

Update: March 3, 2009

This writing will be posted on President Obama’s website.

This is an e-mail I received from Ms. Robin. She gave me permission to post it on my blogs. Mr. President (President Obama) this woman should not have to live like this in America. It appears that local authorities, such as the Utica police department, Illinois State police, the District Attorney for Utica Illinois are turning a “blind”eye to this lady’s circumstances. How long must she go through this ordeal with a racist neighbor whose behavior is criminal in nature, along with violating Mr. Robin’s civil rights? Who will defend her honor and integrity? Can you assist her since no one else will? This is the e-mail Ms. Robin sent me. I did not edit it. How it reads, is how it came to me.

Hello Fred:

My apologies for taking so long to get back with you. The day of the meeting in Jan. I received a call from the mayor, he asked me if my intentions were to still come to the city meeting that evening. I did tell him that I had all intentions of being there, and that is when he began to explain the problems that would arise by my attendance. He went on to say that if I attended that Mr Johnson would also be there and it would turn into a screaming match. I told him I do not have to scream to be heard. He also told me that it would be very hard for me to prove what I was stating, ( I suppose all the eye witnesses would be meaningless) and that it would become a He said She said issue. He also in a gentleman way asked me not to attend but if I felt that by attending it might serve a purpose then I should come, but what he really was asking that I do not come. He said that anything that I needed to call him personally and he would take care of it. Ha Ha, at this point I have to laugh at how things are dealt with here. I brought up in the conversation that I had to have a fence installed between our properties, and even if I placed it within 1 ft of my property I would be dealing with Mr Johnson's attacks if I stepped on the other side to maintain the fence and any overgrowth along the fence line and what and how I would then have to deal with the city if I was not able to step around my fence to maintain it. I also brought to his attention the illegal No parking signs Mr Johnson had erected in front of his home ( the city came out the next morning and removed them ) There is also the fact that Mr. Johnson runs a business in a building on his property and I stated how that was unfair to others that run legal business in town that had to pay taxes and also they are in a commercial zoning and he was in a residential I brought up these things because I want to send a message to Mr Johnson that he is not above the law.

In a gentleman way he asked if I did not attend because of the discord that would take place. I reminded him I have been dealing with discord for more than one evening. A few days after the meeting I went into our local grocery store, while I was in there I ran into a neighbor from down my street and also a candidate that is running for mayor against our present one in the upcoming election. While I stood at the checkout he walked up and said to me "Hi neighbor, I didn't see you at the city meeting in Jan. They had posted on the agenda that it was a discussion of you and Mr. Johnson," I replied, that "due to the weather and that I had a conversation with the mayor the day of the meeting I decided not to go". He then replied back, " That's all everyone in town is talking about, I was hoping to see a showdown between the two of you", then went on to tell me that he had ran into Mr. Johnson in the same store recently, and thought he would not tell me what he said, but that he said some things to aggravate Mr. Johnson about me and then he left the store quickly, so the girl that works there at the store would have listen to Mr. Johnson ranting about his comments. He also told me that he along with other people find it funny of what has been going on between myself and Mr. Johnson". I was so furious I could not talk. I thought how could anyone find this humorous? I am happy to hear that there are people that live here including a neighbor who is running for mayor can sit and laugh at my expense over an issue that is serious. This shows me the mentality of how things are viewed here. This person's name is Jimmy Shrader and with my conversations with him, shows me the immaturity that he has and is not capable to oversee even a small town such as ours.
Because the weather turned very bad that night I did not attend, but I have been taking measures that will not only prove legally what Mr. Johnson has been doing. New Years day my husband came home and was taking the garbage out. Mr. Johnson came running out of his house yelling at my husband " pay backs are hell buddy" and you're gonna get yours" My husband came in the house and asked what was he talking about. I did not hesitate I called the police, what Mr. Johnson was saying was a threat. Jerry from the K-9 unit responded along with the conservation and state police. Mr Johnson denied what he said which Jerry stated he always does. But I have not heard a word from Mr Johnson since. When I was at the last meeting, I brought up that I was going to have a guard dog on my property and I wanted to know what breed would not be allowed according to the city ordinances. Jerry from the K-9 unit asked if I did get one to let him know.

In the meantime I have traveled to Ohio and bought a Doberman puppy that it being trained to be a family pet but also to be obedient to watch our property. I had a conversation with Jerry from the K-9 unit that I had gotten her and she was starting training. I also wanted him to be aware in case he would have to be called again to come to our house. I asked him to spend time with her also, so she is familiar with him. Right now she is 9 weeks old and is like having another 2 yr old in the house. I do want her to be approachable, but obedient. She is doing well at this time in her training and she will be not only a faithful family dog but also a dog that will not allow intruders to trespass.

I chose this breed as a psychological effect it will have when others approach us or our property, but also they are very good family dogs. I am also having installed video surveillance alongside that faces Mr Johnson's property. Once weather breaks my yard will be totally fenced in, unfortunate it will look like a fortress but some of this I do to send a message that I will not tolerate trespassers and it will block any views that Mr and Mrs Johnson from sitting in their windows watching to see what we are doing here on our property. With all the interruptions while trying to get the house erected it caused a delay which affected my home loan which was cancelled out yesterday and I have to restart the whole loan process again. It was disheartening but I am not one to lie down and give up, so I am beginning the process of re-filing once again all my paperwork for the bank. In the meantime I have had the builders of my home send me an intimidating letter which I then forward this to my attorney. I contacted them to tell them I was not going to tolerate tactics such as theirs and that under the advice of my attorney not to have any more contact with them. Because of the many delays that have taken place, with my contractors while they tried to work around Mr. Johnson. My loan process went into 6 months sitting on a underwriters desk filed approved to no loan at all, and this after 3 missed closing dates. So now I am dealing with threats of legal actions from the builders while I began a new loan process.

I will get through it as many other obstacles that have come my way. But it does get tiresome. I am not letting the city off the hook here. I am going to continue to hold them responsible to do their job. When the fence construction begins I have a video cam to tape the process and any outburst that might arise from it. The two officers that have been supportive of me told me the more paperwork I have it will give me the sources needed in the courts.

When all this is completed, I am going to look into any legal actions I may be able to take against Mr. Johnson that contributed to the delays in rebuilding. I do have some contractors that are working with me still and are very understanding with everything that has taken place here and are willing to go into court to testify. So at this moment that is where things are. The quietness will only be until warm weather comes, that is his pattern.

Update: January 27, 2009

I received a letter dated January 16, 2009 from Illinois State Police Director Larry G. Trent. The letter states "...I am in receipt of your e-mail and fax of the letter you received from Mrs. Robin...expressing concern about the alleged misconduct of the Chief of Police of North Utica. According to the attorney for the city of North Utica, the complainant, Mrs. Robin..., was scheduled to voice her allegations before the Mayor of Utica and the Village Board of Trustees on January 14, 2009. Mrs...presentation to the Board is an appropriate course of action in seeking a resolution to this matter...Hopefully, this meeting and any subsequent actions will provide a positive outcome for all involved in this unfortunate situation. Thank you for writing and expressing your concerns...."

Update: January 3, 2009

Hello Mr Nance

In Dec. I did not make the deadline to turn in my agenda for the Dec city counsel meeting, however I did attend and was able to speak at the end of the meeting about the issue with my neighbor and what could be done to stop it.

While I addressed the issue of the conflict of interest with the chief of police, he left the room, however there was another police officer that was there and also assured me he would be watching out for me. Things became very quiet here until this last week.

After talking to 2 contractors almost begging them to finish up my siding on my home so I could get the appraiser here, neither would do it due to the fact of the neighbor, so this past tues. I was able to get a contractor from downstate IL to come up and finish the work. While they were unloading their supplies in the back which at this time the only access to my home is from the alley.

Mr. Johnson called the police complaining about the alley blocked which in fact there was plenty of room for the police officer to drive around their truck. I let it go and kept my self focused on tying up loose ends that needed to be done before the appraiser came yesterday. However Mr Johnson had an incident which I was not aware of until my husband went outside thurs to pick up any left over pieces from the siders.

Mr Johnson came out in his yard screaming at my husband telling him he knew we threw dog feces on his truck and that he assured my husband " paybacks are hell buddy and you're going to get yours." I did not hesitate I called LaSalle county and the Utica, conservation and state police came. I explained to them that Mr Johnson said he had an incident and that he was going to retaliate against us.

I am unsure if there even was an incident due to the fact the police did not even know about it, We told them that the last thing we are going to do it give the man any reason to harass us. Jerry who is the K-9 unit went over and told Mr Johnson he was not going to threaten nor accuse us of something he had no knowledge of who did it. Jerry did come back over and told me that he was going to file the report and he made it very clear that I needed the paper trail if I am going to get Mr Johnson to stop the harassment.I did obtain information from one of our local business people that this past summer the police chief gave a written notice to a lady in town that was yelling at a construction worker working in front of her house.

Mr Bernadoni did tell the lady if she did it again she would go to jail. However he does not apply that to his friend Mr Johnson. My agenda will be coming up in the Jan meeting and I will be there to ensure something is done.When a person tells me that they are going to get even, I take that as a threat and I am not going to sit and wait to see what the man does. I am going to try and head things off before they happen.We were also told thurs by the police Mr Johnson is not going to stop and that this coming spring he will more than likely get worse while we are outside. I am not going to allow this man for one more day make me fear of going outside even if it is to my car. I have dug my heels in and I am now focused to stop him.

I have realized he has some serious issues and it is though he is obsessed with creating problems. I realize I have to shove his issues back to him and not place them on us. One thing I am addressing to the board of why Mr Johnson is allowed to run a business in a building that is in a residential zone, without a licenses. I have a list of illegal city ordinances that Mr Johnson has on his property so I will use this to send a message that I will not tolerate what he is doing and that he is not above the law.

I am contacting a civil attorney to see what exactly I can do in the court system to bring Mr Johnson in front of a judge. Not only has Mr Johnson caused distress he has also cost me monies of three missed closing dates with the bank due to contractors walking off the job because of him screaming at them. So I am in the process of putting my case together against him.

Thank you for emailing me and checking to see how things are going. I will keep you updated to what seems a never ending issue. May God Bless you and your family this New Year. -

Robin-

Update: December 17, 2008

On December 8, 2008 I sent a copy of this letter to Utica's Chief of Police Joseph Bernadoni by Certified U.S. Mail. The United States Postal Service reports this mail/letter was delivered on December 11, 2008 at 9:01 am. I have not received my confirmation post card from this delivery as of this date and time. I have not received a response from Mr. Joseph Bernadoni.

I received a comment regarding this issue on http://clickforjusticeandequality.wordpress.com/ stating:

"Ms. Robin, I have read your letter and am appalled by the actions of your neighbor. I am a catholic and a 3rd degree knight of columbus in Ottawa, I am also a member of a multi-racial family through adoption. There have many incidences of racism throughout my life but this definitely one of the worst that has hit so close to home. The man you have written about would not be considered a catholic in God's eyes and thus does not qualify to be a knight, so please do not group him with us. I do want you to know that I will be looking in to who this man is and what course of action, if any, I can take against him. You have done an amazing thing by accepting one of God's children as your own, I hope you continue to make Him proud."

Check the blog to confirm this statment.

Update: December 9, 2008

Illinois State Police
Office of the Director
Director Larry G. Trent
801 South Seventh Street
Springfield, Illinois 62794-9461

Mr. Trent:

Would you please conduct a formal investigation into the allegations set forth in the email correspondence I received from Ms. Robin xxxxxx? Since the Illinois LaSalle County Sheriff’s office and the Utica Illinois Chief of Police are at the center of the allegation, I believe it may be inappropriate for them to investigate themselves. Please respond. Thank You.

I faxed this correspondence with the emails to the Office of the Director Larry G. Trent. I will post this update on my blogs at http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/, http://click.townhall.com/, http://clickforjusticeandequality.wordpress.com/ and www.frednance.newsvine.com/ where this writing is originally posted.

Update: December 9, 2008

I sent certified mail to Utica Illinois Chief of Police Joseph Bernadoni requesting an investigation into this matter. I will send the Illinois State Police Director, Larry G. Trent, the letter addressed to Mayor Fred Esmond of Utica Illinois requesting an investigation due to the bias and prejudice of the Chief of Police involved in this matter.

Update: December 8, 2008

I have received confirmation correspondence from the Honorable States Attorney Brian J. Towne of the Office of the State's Attorney LaSalle County, Illinois acknowledging receipt of my fax dated December 1, 2008. The correspondence suggest the "...duty of this office to bring criminal charges in court against perpetrators after a thorough investigation of a crime has been completed...."

It appears there has not been a criminal report filed with the Office of the State's Attorney LaSalle County Illinois. The correspondence states "...In the above matter we have received no investigation reports and therefore have nothing to act on...." The Honorable Brian J. Towne suggest his office will file charges if they receive reports indicating a crime has been committed and it has sufficient evidence to pursue.

I have not heard anything from the Mayor of Utica Illinois, Mr. Fred Esmond. I have not heard anything from the Village Trustee Tom Guerrero who sits on committees responsible for the police, public health and safety. I have not heard anything from the LaSalle County Sheriff Tom Templeton. In an attempt to send this letter by fax to the Utica Illinois Chief of Police Joseph Bernadoni, I get a message requesting I leave a message for him. I will mail a copy of this letter to the Utica Illinois Chief of Police Joseph Bernadoni requesting an investigation.

Update: December 4, 2008

I have placed the Utica Illinois alleged racism writing on President-Elect Barack Obama's website (posting titled "Racism in Illinois: What will the President-Elect do about it?). This is posted on the right side of my blog titled http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/. See this update on my blogs at: http://click.townhall.com/, http://clickforjusticeandequality.wordpress.com/ and http://www.frednance.newsvine.com/

I am requesting President-Elect Obama address racism in Illinois, particularly and specifically, Utica Illinois and the Sheridan Correctional Center in Sheridan Illinois. President-Elect Obama should select a sub-committee from his cabinet to address racism, disparate and indifferent treatment and separatism in his own State of Illinois along with encouraging lawmakers in the State of Illinois to enforce the current laws on the books that deal with these issues. The woman, her child and her family in Utica Illinois should be free from the tyranny of racism.

This woman's neighbors have asked her why did she wait so long to make this public. She delayed reporting these nefarious incidents because of the fear of retaliation and oppression from the "elite" and oppressive social, legal and judicial structure of Utica and LaSalle County Illinois. This woman informed me she was encouraged to report this racism and abuse because of my writings on the subject of racism, which is on my blogs regarding my employment nightmares of racism and oppression at Sheridan Correctional Center in Sheridan Illinois. There have been many complaints in the past about the racist and oppressive government, legal and judicial structure of LaSalle County Illinois. This is exampled here where the legal and judicial structure have broken down in their assistance to this woman and her family to be free from the racist oppression and indifferent treatment of the Utica Chief of Police and LaSalle County Illinois' legal system.

December 1, 2008

Village of North Utica Illinois
Honorable Mayor Fred Esmond
801 S. Clark Street
Utica, Illinois 61373

Mr. Mayor:

On Friday, November 28, 2008, at approximately 6:24 pm and Sunday, November 30, 2008 at approximately 4:12 pm I received emails responding to a writing I have on one of my blogs at http://clickforjusticeandequality.wordpress.com/. This writing was from a resident of Utica Illinois. The resident, Ms. Robin, reports your Chief of Police, Joseph Bernadoni, is supporting racism, harassment and intimidation by not enforcing the laws of Illinois. She also reports Mr. Dick Johnson is harassing, intimidation and threatening her with racial slurs, which Joseph Bernadoni has witnessed. Ms. Robin reports there are police reports to support her allegations against these two men. Apparently, your office is aware of these threats of violence also. Why has Mr. Johnson not been arrested?

From the information provided to me in the email, which I will send you a copy, Ms. Robin resides at xxx W. Washington Street, Utica Illinois. Apparently, Ms. Robin has a neighbor, Mr. Dick Johnson, who harasses, intimidates, threatens and promotes racism and violence with his language to her. Ms. Robin reports calling your police department several times about being harassed, intimidated, and threatened with racism slurs, with no results. Ms. Robin reports one of your police officers stated there is no law against harassment. That is not true. There are laws for this type of crime. This is criminal behavior.

The following is reported in the emails I received from Ms. Robin:

“Racism is alive and well in Utica, IL. My husband and I adopted a bi-racial baby girl who is now 2 yrs. old. Since the adoption we have been dealing with a neighbor that has harassed, used intimidating and racial slurs on a routine basis whenever we are outside our home and within sight, this being done while the chief of police stands next to him and does nothing about it, not even a warning. Our home burnt this past June and this neighbor has done everything possible to stop my family and the contractors from rebuilding. This past Monday I had to call the LaSalle County Police because as I was standing in front of my home with the concrete contractors this man came running out cursing and screaming obscene language while the Chief of Police stood inside this man’s home and said nor did anything about it. Once the County police showed up I was informed by the officer that there was no law against harassment. My little girl, an innocent child is going to have to hear the N word from a racist neighbor while playing in her own yard. She will now be exposed to foul and volatile language while she is in her room playing if the window is open or if we go outside…The police chief Joe Bernadoni and this neighbor Dick Johnson are friends. ..When the building inspector went to my property to go over the measurements, he had to have a police officer with him. Last Monday when this newest incident occurred I was standing in the street in front of my home when he came across two lots to get to me. The LaSalle County officer when he did arrive spent more time running my name to see if I had any warrants than anything else. I told him I wanted something done about this man and that is when I was told there is no law against harassment. I asked him to write something so I would have at least a piece of paper that he was even there. He did go over and speak to the man and he himself witnessed the hostile personality yet did nothing. Since the beginning of losing my home this man has called the city attorney and mayor to try and stop me from rebuilding on my property. There is a city board meeting Dec 10th which I am going to attend. What I truly find amazing this man can be outside screaming obscene things at me while I am standing there holding my little girl and then go inside his home get dressed and walk across the street to the catholic church he is a member of and also a 4th degree knight with the Knights of Columbus. My husband works out of state and is only home on the weekends. He was upset with me that I am making this issue public, he tells me that It will isolate us in the community, and may create an enemy with the police chief…I am feeling fear due to the fact the man is unpredictable and he runs an illegal taxidermy shop next to us filled with guns. My town has a 99% white population and though many people support me it is only behind closed doors. I don’t know who to turn too to help stop this unexcusable and hideous behavior.”

This is outrageous!!! This is ludicrous!!! If this is true, the Chief of Police and Dick Johnson are cowards and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Why doesn’t Mr. Johnson harass a man? Only cowards do things as described in this email. The world needs to know that racism is alive in Utica Illinois. Also, from the information in this email it appears that you know about this situation Mr. Mayor. It also appears that your city attorneys know about this harassment, intimidation and threats of violence are taking place.

Therefore, I have posted this message on my blog at http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/ to alert the world of the character and behavior of the officials of Utica Illinois. I have contacted and sent these emails to The Times newspaper (serving Ottawa and Streator Illinois) and The Rainbow/PUSH Coalition. I am in the process of sending this correspondence to LaSalle County State’s Attorney Brian Towne.

Sir, I will send this correspondence to you by email and fax. I will send this correspondence to Mr. Tom Guerrero by email, who sits on the Village of Utica’s Committees Police, Public Health and Safety.

Mr. Mayor, how can you allow this woman to become a hostage to threats of violence in her own home? The people who are responsible for these acts should be prosecuted. If Chief of Police Joseph Bernadoni has working knowledge of these criminal acts, he should be prosecuted, fined, disciplined and fired. The burning of Ms. Robin home should be investigated to its fullest.

I was going to fax this correspondence to the LaSalle County Sheriff, Tom Templeton, and to the Chief of Police Joseph Bernadoni as a courtesy. After engaging a member of the LaSalle County Sheriff’s office, who identified himself as Corporal Carmean, who refused to give me a fax number for the LaSalle County Sheriff’s office and who did not know how to spell Sheriff Templeton’s name, I decided to forego this courtesy. I decided to forego the courtesy to Mr. Bernadoni because I may get the same hostility. They can read about it on my blog.

Respectfully submitted,

Fred Nance Jr.
Social Policy Analyst
Counselor/Therapist