January 09, 2006

December 20, 2005 - Illinois Cook County Court Reporters Office: Unprofessional Behavior

December 20, 2005

Court Reporters Office
Ms. Marilyn Filishio, Administrator
69 West Washington, Suite 900
Chicago, Illinois 60602

Re: Transcripts for Estate of Romeo Ashford; Case No. 00 P 1267

Ms. Filishio:

I, Fred Nance Jr., ordered transcripts in this case on December 5, 2005. The transcripts ordered are for the following dates with court reporters: July 1, 2005 – Khalidah Kali, July 15, 2005 – Michelle Blanks, and November 2, 2005 – Katrina Alexander in courtroom 1809, Judge James Riley.

On or about December 9, 2005 I received my copy of the Court Reporters Transcript Order. I called 312-603-8402 requesting to speak to the three (3) court reporters mentioned above to make arrangements for transcription. I was connected to the voice mails of Khalidah Kali and Katrina Alexander. I left voice messages for both individuals. Ms. Alexander called me.

I was told Michelle Blanks resigned from the Court Reporters Office. I requested to speak to a supervisor about contacting Michelle Blanks. I was connected to Sandy Provenzano. I explained my issue with contacting Ms. Blanks. Sandy stated she would try to contact Ms.Blanks. I asked for Ms. Blanks contact information. Sandy Provenzano refused to give me any information on Ms. Blanks.

Ten days later, on December 19, 2005, I called your office following up on my transcript request. I left a message for Ms. Alexander requesting a follow-up call. I left another message for Khalidah Kali. Ms. Kali has not returned any of my calls. I spoke to Sandy requesting return calls from all three court reporters. I informed Sandy I spoke to Ms. Alexander but did not remember if I spoke to Ms. Blanks. I informed Sandy I spoke to someone who informed me they would be going out of town and expected to be back on December 19, 2005. I informed Sandy I had not heard from Ms. Kali. I asked Sandy for Ms. Kali’s supervisor name and number. Sandy gave me Jim Lawless and 312-603-8525.

On December 19, 2005 I called Mr. Lawless. Mr. Lawless’ voice mail answered and I left a detailed message stating I had left two voice mail messages for Ms. Kali and requested an answer to my request for transcripts. On December 20, 2005 I called Mr. Lawless again. His voice mail came on and I left another message requesting he call me about the non-response of Ms. Kali. As the writing of this letter at 5:25 pm December 20, 2005 I have not received a response from Mr. Lawless.

On December 20, 2005 Ms. Blanks called me. She corrected me, and rightfully so, stating she called me before she left town. I informed Ms. Blanks I stated to Sandy I was not sure of who I spoke with, but I know they told me they would be going out of town and would return on December 19, 2005. Ms. Blanks estimated the transcript to be 15 pages. Ms. Blanks stated she needed $50.00 as a deposit, payable to her.

I informed Ms. Blanks I would take a check down to 69 West Washington, Suite 900. Ms. Blanks informed me I had to leave $50.00 cash. I informed Ms. Blanks I needed to be able to trace the money for the transcripts. Ms. Blanks informed me I would receive a receipt. I asked Ms. Blanks if Attorneys and Law firms were held to the same standard of payment. Ms. Blanks informed me Pro Se individuals had to pay cash, and that my receipt would be enough for me. I informed Ms. Blanks I would call her back after talking to the Court Reporters Office.

I called the Court Reporters Office requesting to speak to Sandy. Sandy Provenzano informed me I had pay $50.00 cash because I was not an attorney or working with a law firm. Sandy informed me Pro Se individuals have submitted checks that bounced or they have cancelled checks submitted. I informed Sandy this was a deposit, I was not picking up a transcript, and by the time the transcript arrived they would know my check was good. Sandy informed me I could not leave a check as a deposit. Sandy stated I had to pay cash. I requested the name and phone number of her supervisor. Sandy informed me she was the Assistant Administrator. I told Sandy then give me the name of the Administrator.

Sandy gave me Ms. Marilyn Filishio as the Administrator for the Court Reporting Office. Sandy stated she was not going to give me Ms. Silishio’s extension or phone number. I requested Sandy transfer me to her supervisor. Sandy told me I could call back and have the front desk ring Ms. Filishio’s office. I requested Sandy transfer me to the front desk. Sandy transferred me to the front desk. I requested to speak to Ms. Filishio.

I was transferred to Ms. Filishio’s office. I was told Ms. Filishio was on another call. I left a message for her to call me stating I was going to write this letter and post it on my website at: http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/. This was at 3:00 pm. I did not hear from Ms. Filishio and called back at 4:15 pm. I requested Ms. Filishio’s fax number, and requested from the person answering the phone to tell Ms. Filishio I decided to write this formal complaint and I will fax it to her along with posting on my website.

While I was typing this letter, Ms. Blanks called stating my transcript was done. Ms. Blanks reports it was 11 pages, and would cost $34.65. Ms. Blanks and I agreed upon a money order as sufficient payment for the completed transcript.

My basic concern with Court Reporters Office management is the blatant and demeaning assumed power of Ms. Sandy Provenzano. Ms. Provenzano does not act or speak to customers as a manager or professional. Why does a professional or manager of the Cook County Court Reporters Office refuse to give the phone number of their superiors? In addition, according to established law and principle, a Pro Se litigant should be treated as an attorney. There can be no indifferent treatment in the litigation processes. If an attorney or a law firm can pay for a transcript with a check, a pro se litigant should be able to exercise the same standard.

I need to know why Mr. Jim Lawless has not returned my calls. I need to know why court reporter Khalidah Kali has not returned my calls. What kind of supervision is taking place in the Illinois Cook County Court Reporters Office? Is there nepotism here also? I expect to receive a call or a written reply to this letter from Ms. Marilyn Filishio in a reasonable amount of time.

Faxed copies will be sent to the individuals listed below, including Ms. Marilyn Filishio. An original hard copy will be mailed to Ms. Marilyn Filishio. I will publish and post this letter on my website at: http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/.

Respectfully submitted,

Fred Nance Jr., ABD, MA, CADC, NCRS

cc: Cynthia Cobbs, Director of Administration for the Court Reporters
Timothy Evans, Chief Judge