January 12, 2006

January 23, 2006 - Depaul Health Center, St. Louis, Missouri: Patient Care & HIPPA Laws

January 23, 2006

Ms. Melinda Clark, President
DePaul Health Center
12303 DePaul Drive
St. Louis, Missouri 63044

Re: Carolyn Nance – Patient

Ms. Clark:

I, Fred Nance Jr., am writing this letter on behalf of my daughter, Carolyn Nance. Carolyn Nance entered DePaul Health Center (Center) on or about December 31, 2005. She had medical procedures done, which included a Hysterectomy. On Saturday, January 21, 2006, I requested medical information from the Center. My daughter is housed in room 646.

On January 21, 2006 I called at approximately 9:15 am (CST) requesting to speak to the RN on my daughter’s case, which was Lisa. I asked Lisa to provide my daughter with a release of information form so I could obtain a health and physical, all medications, medical procedures (if any), and diagnosis and prognosis. I informed Lisa I worked for a hospital in the Chicago area, and am familiar with HIPPA laws and the ethical reasoning surrounding it. I informed Lisa I was putting in place an alternative plan for health treatment for my daughter if she and her children decided to come live with me during her rehabilitation period.

Lisa called me back at approximately 11:00 am (CST). Lisa informed me she could not provide this information according to the HIPPA laws. Lisa informed me my daughter would have to request the release of information. I informed Lisa the patient did not have to request this information. I informed Lisa a family member can request the information, and have the responsible party of the Center facilitate the patient agreement of the request (sign release of information). I informed Lisa I perform this procedure daily. I informed Lisa this would not violate HIPPA laws. Lisa refused to facilitate the release of information. I requested to speak to her supervisor.

Supervisor Joan McEnaney, who stated she was the Charge Nurse, came to the phone. I explained the above to her. Ms. McEnaney began explaining how she could not provide me with the information I was requesting. I requested to speak to the Administrator of the hospital. Ms. McEnaney informed me Ms. Corey Elliott was the on-call Administrator.

Ms. McEnaney took my information for Ms. Elliott to call me. Ms. Elliott called me. I explained the situation to her. Ms. Elliott stated she would look into the matter and call me back. Ms. Elliott called me back stating the Nurse informed her, my daughter stated she was refusing to give me permission to have a copy of her medical information. I informed Ms. Elliott I would call my daughter.

I called my daughter informing her of what was said to me. My daughter informed me the nurse came to her room stating I wanted my daughter’s original medical files. My daughter informed me she refused because she did not want me to have her original medical files because she needed copies upon her release. I informed my daughter the nurse lied to her because the nurse did not want me to have copies of her medical files. My daughter informed me she had no problem with me having copies of her medical files. I informed my daughter I would take it from here.

I called the number on my caller ID for Ms. Elliott. I informed Ms. Elliott of what my daughter reported to me. Ms. Elliott stated this would not be happening if she was at the hospital. Ms. Elliott informed me she would look into this matter and return my call with the results. Ms. Elliott also informed me she would call and talk to my daughter, personally.

Ms. Elliott called me back reporting I could obtain the information, and that, my daughter was signing the release of information. I gave Ms. Elliott my fax number. I received the Health and Physical and Medications for January 2nd, 5th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, and 20th. Where are the medications for 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 13th, 18th, and 21st? In addition, where is the information on the surgical procedure performed diagnosis and prognosis? Ms. Clark, would you please answer these questions?

I called the Center on January 23, 2006 at approximately 8:30 am requesting to speak to the Charge Nurse about the information I did not receive reported above. Ms. Sailor, who reported she was the Charge Nurse, came to the phone. I informed her of what information I did not receive. Ms. Sailor stated she would have to get her immediate supervisor, Kathy Bonser, to call me because she could not assist me. It appears your nurses need training in the HIPPA regulations. This could not possibly be an isolated incident. Your nurses must believe they are gods or something. The attitudes expressed and behaviors acted out by your nursing staff are unbelievable and appears to be unprofessional.

Ms. Clark, I am a doctoral candidate in Human Services. I am proficient in my studies and academic work. My focus is Social Policy Analysis and Planning. I am well equipped to understand and implement HIPPA laws and recommendations. Ms. Clark, I called your office this morning to alert you to this letter and to receive your fax number to send you a soft copy, with hard copy coming in the mail. In addition, for your information my daughter has been in this Center twice (2) before complaining about the same medical issues, which are being addressed now. There is something wrong with this picture. I have not heard from your supervisor, Kathy Bonser, as of the writing of this letter.

Fred Nance Jr., ABD, MA, CADC, NCRS

cc: http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/