June 07, 2013

When Gabby Giffords was shot in the head

The National Memo
Dear Friend,

People have told me that I am courageous, but I have seen greater courage.

When my friend and staffer, Gabe Zimmerman, saw me shot in the head and laying on the ground, he ran towards me. Towards the gunfire. And then the gunman shot him, and then Gabe died.

That is courage.

And it's a quality that was sorely lacking on the floor of the Senate when forty-five senators stood with the gun lobby to vote against expanding background checks -- to vote against saving lives.

If you're still angry about that vote, you are not alone. But it's up to us to do something about it, because if we don't act, no one will.

That's why I'm asking you to join me in supporting candidates who back common sense legislation to reduce gun violence and protect gun rights, and withhold your support from those who don't.
"I promise you that if we cannot make our communities safer from gun violence while protecting gun rights with the Congress we have now, I will use every means available to make sure we have a different Congress, one that puts communities' interests ahead of the gun lobby's."
I've always known this would be a long, hard haul. I am glad that we're in it together.

Gabby Giffords





(C) 2013 EASTERN HARBOR MEDIA, LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
28 WEST 27TH STREET SUITE 502
NEW YORK, NY 10001