September 22, 2005

Markham Illinois' Public Defender's Office

This is an unfair practice. These people want to retaliate against you for reporting issues such as this. I reported it to the Public Defender's office because it was an unfair practice.

July 29, 2005

United States Senator
Barack Obama
230 S. Dearborn St., Suite 3900
Chicago, Illinois 60604

Re: Public Defender Assignment

Senator Obama:

I, Fred Nance Jr., am still addressing your comment about President Bush’s Supreme Court choice suggesting the President pick someone who uses “mainstream thinking.” I had an experience at the Markham Courthouse I think you should be aware of. I would not be writing to you about this issue if I had not been disrespected by the Public Defender’s office, specifically, Ms. Ross and Mr. Kendall Hill. I believe these individuals use “mainstream thinking” as part of their judicial processes.

I attended court, under subpoena, for a car accident where I am the victim. There was a guy, who has been assigned a Public Defender, who stated to the Judge in room 205 that he is a Professor of Social Work teaching at Indiana University with 2 DUI’s at issue. There is something wrong with this picture. This person is not “white” or “black.” He appeared to be Arabic or Indian. I am sure there are plenty of “African-Americans” who need the service of the Public Defenders’ office who have employment disqualifying them from the services of the Public Defender’s office.

I spoke briefly to his Public Defender about this matter. Her name is Ms. Linda Perez. She informed me that she was appointed by the Judge in room 205 to this case. She states that I must take it up with him. We talked in Mr. Kendall Hill’s office.

I requested to see the supervisor of the Public Defender’s office. I spoke to Ms. Ross. She informed me that I was addressing this issue in the wrong place. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She told me that he was not in. I asked the intern who was the supervisor. Ms. Ross informed me that Mr. Kendall Hill was the Chief. Ms. Ross left. I continued talking to another Attorney getting information about the Public Defenders’ hierarchy. Mr. Ross came back to the front. I gave my business card to Ms. Ross as she was writing Mr. Hill’s name on an office business card. Mr. Ross was standing in the waiting room. She tossed my business card in the window of toward the intern. Ms. Ross then informed me that Mr. Hill said he would see me in 20 to 30 minutes. This was at 11:30 am. I waited until 12:15 pm informing Ms. Ross that I would send him a copy of this letter.

Mr. Kendall Hill did not have time to discuss this issue. Therefore, I am writing you and copying others with this issue. It is my hope that someone who is informed of this matter, through this correspondence, would bring a solution so that this issue does not have the appearance of indifferent treatment.

There were many people who witnessed and heard the statement of this person who was the defendant. The court reporter and police officers commented on the fact that this person had a Public Defender being a Professor of Social Work teaching at Indiana University.

I hope someone contacts me by phone or letter giving information toward the solution to this issue. I am still researching the person’s name with Indiana University.

cc: Honorable Judge Timothy Evans
Honorable Judge Ronald C. Riley
Mr. Edwin Burnette, Public Defender
Mr. Kendall Hill, Chief Public Defender of the 6th Municipal District